Monday 7 May 2012

Review: Catching Fire


Title: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games ~ Book 2)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publication Date: September 1 2009
Publisher: Scholastic Press
ISBN: 0439023491
Length: 391 Pages
Link to SynopsisGoodreads
Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

My Rating: 5 Stars

** SPOILER ALERT **

My plan is to keep this review short and sweet... mostly because after that cliffhanger I am dying to start Mockingjay right away! There is a plus side to waiting to read a series of books, you don't have to sit and wait for the next one to be published.

I started Catching Fire last night at 11pm and read until 2pm. After breakfast today I picked it right back up, stopped a bit for lunch and then finished reading it around 7pm today. The phrase 'couldn't put it down' doesn't even express how engrossed I was. I'm surprised my Kindle Touch didn't have smoke coming out from it.

As with The Hunger Games, I absolutely loved this book. From a few of my friends that read them before me I knew to expect a twist. However, I still did find myself shocked when the contents of the Quarter Quell letter was read by President Snow.

I know in these Games there were adults mixed with children but I found myself reminded of playful children a bit more in this book than the last. Such as when Peeta is asleep and Katniss and Finnick wake him up with their faces close to his to give him a little scare. I felt a pang of sadness when they were sat there laughing on the beach. Even though I felt there was an underlying plan unfolding with some of the other tributes... I just felt so sad for them and how their lives have turned out.

Or on the beach when Peeta shows Katniss the locket. I know he did this in order to try to convince her to let him save her but you could feel his love. And Peeta's love for Katniss is something that I have never doubted.

However in saying this I do find myself every now and again wanting to slap Katniss when she goes back and forth between Peeta and Gale. As with any book such as these there are 'Teams' and I guess you can just say that I am Team Peeta all the way! :)

Okay, I'm off to start Mockingjay. As ever I would strongly suggest this book to anybody who is willing to listen to my suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )