Wednesday 4 July 2012

Review: A Discovery of Witches


Title: A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy ~ Book 1)
Author: Deborah Harkness
Publication Date: September 1 2011
Publisher: Headline
ISBN: 0755374045
Length: 690 Pages
Link to SynopsisGoodreads
Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

My Rating: 5 Stars

A Discovery of Witches was an absolute joy and pleasure to read. This will be a book and series that I can easily say I will read multiple times over.

The blend of history, science and magic was breathtaking. I never once got bored and was riveted each time I picked up my Kindle to where I never wanted to put it down. I love that it is a longer book, normally in a new series the first book is smaller with the end books being larger. So much was able to take place and as mentioned previously, I was never bored. There were moments when I got tears in my eyes, I laughed and one particular moment where I actually screamed out 'NO' and drew my hands up to my face unable to continue reading for a few minutes. My heart was honestly pounding in my chest.

Diana is such a smart, level headed woman. I will be the first to say I loved Twilight but I can honestly say Bella at many times annoyed me. Far too much the 'Damsel in Distress' in a lot of the earlier books. Diana is strong. Yes there are moments of despair as there would be for anybody that faced some of the challenges she must face but she is brave and honest.

Matthew is... simply wonderful. Yes he is protective over Diana as it is his nature as a vampire but you see how he realizes she is a strong woman. She is his 'lionne' and 'coeur', this meaning she is his lioness and his heart.

The history and science in this book intrigued me. Matthew is Scientist and a very old vampire, who in his long life has known many fascinating people. Diana is a Witch and an Historian. You learn much about Matthew's life and the people he knew and the science that he is currently working on when trying to determine how and why the creatures of their world were created and why they now seem to be dying out. Those creatures being Witches, Daemons and Vampires, they share the world with humans who are oblivious to their existence. A world where creatures do not normally mix or even become friends, let alone fall in love.

My head is filled with thoughts of how book two will play out and all of the wonderful people Diana and Matthew will come into contact with and the many mysteries they will start to unravel when Diana learns to harness and control her magic.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've been wanting to read this book forever and finally got it. Now I just have to read it...
    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )