Monday 29 October 2012

Review: Easy


When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night--but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.

Title: Easy
Author: Tammara Webber
Publication Date: May 25 2012
Publisher: Originally Self Published, now with Penguin
ISBN: 0425266745
Length: 304 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: I am not usually a fan of up close faces as I like to imagine what the characters look like myself.  However, after finishing I think this cover works perfectly!
Point of View: 1st person, following Jacquelin

My Rating: 5 Stars

Simply amazing!  This is one book where you should 100% believe the hype.  I have yet to come across a negative review for Easy and now that I have read it I can see why.  It really is simply amazing!

I strongly believe that Easy should be required reading for any female high school senior prior to starting college.  The subject matter involved is serious and is never taken lightly in the story.  Thankfully I have never found myself in a similar situation to Jacqueline but I believe it is all too easy for girls to forget their surrounds on a night out and bad things do happen, far too often!  With the book starting with and dealing with such a heavy subject matter you may get the impression this would be a depressing book, but trust me it is not!  Yes I cried, but to be honest I'm a bit of a softy and cry quite often during books that pull me in emotionally.  But there is plenty of joy and laughter also, so please don't think of this as a 'Debbie Downer', it is perfectly balanced.

The characters are believable. Jacqueline is a strong female lead and I don't fault any of her actions.  Not having the same experiences it would be easy for a bystander to criticize how she handles her dilemma.  But I would never assume to know the emotions and feelings that take place in that moment and would never judge how somebody gets through that type of trauma.

Lucas is just... well... Lucas is just swoon worthy to the highest degree!  Tattoos, lip ring, crystal clear eyes, dark hair and he is an artist.  What is not to love?  He is also strong, caring, sweet but very troubled.  It becomes evident that while he is helping Jacqueline get through what has happened to her he has also had something happen in his past.  This is just another reason why I loved Easy.  This isn't the knight in shining armor story you would assume it is, Lucas is being saved by Jacqueline just as much.

I started this book in the evening and I found myself at 80% at 2:00am.  Although it was the night we set the clocks back so really it was 3:00am.  And if it wasn't for the fact I had to be somewhere the next day I so would have finished it in one sitting.  I was finding it so difficult to put it down.  Even despite the late night I was up at 8:30am and the first thing I did was grab my Kindle and didn't get out of bed until I was finished.

At the end I found myself wondering how I have never read any of Tammara Webber's Between the Lines series, I have now added them all to my TBR pile!  So please, do not hesitate in reading Easy!  I could not suggest it more and I think you will also become a fan of Webber's writing from the first chapter.  My only disappointment is that this is a one off novel as I would have loved to see more of Jacqueline and Lucas in the future.

“Choosing to be with you isn't a difficult decision, Jacqueline," he breathed, pulling back one final time to stare into my eyes. "It's easy. Incredibly easy.”


13 comments:

  1. Yay! I tend to have a problem with hype, the books that everyone loves, I don't, so it's good to hear that this one lives up to it. The characters just sound so compelling! I like that it's a good balance of seriousness and humour. Wonderful review, Christine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! :) The hype 100% lives up to expectations in my opinion. If/when you read it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. x

      Delete
  2. This sounds great!! I'm TBRing it right now! Thanks for the awesome book recommendation!

    Old follower via Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great, and necessary, book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Christine! I saw this book on Netgalley but didn't request it. Yours is the first review I've read on the book & it sounds extremely interesting. The subject matter is sensitive & very real - I know someone who went through something like that.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never known anybody who has gone through this but can only imagine how hellish it must be. Was a really touching story and can take a lot of positives from it. It has made me want to take a women's self defence class!

      Delete
  5. Hello :)
    Saw you on Book Blog and decided to take a look on your blog.
    Great reviews and I love the design :)
    Following you now.
    LadyBug @ Coffee Break

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been in intense cover-love with this book since I first saw it. The synopsis and rave reviews have pushed it to the top of my TBR list. The physical book will be released out Nov. 6th, the same day as Days Of Blood And Starlight (which I will be lining up at the bookstore for) so I'm planning on picking up Easy with it.

    Great review, and gorgeous blog. I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words! :) You will not be disappointed when you read it. I love lining up at the bookstore for books.. lately with my Kindle it means I can't but I do miss that.

      Delete
  7. Great review! I felt the same way as you did! I couldn't put the goddamn book down! Once I started reading I was completely trap. And then I couldn't believe this was the first time I was reading something by Tammara Webber, so I put the Between the Lines series on the top of my TBR list immediately. I wrote a review of the first one on that series and I've read the second one too. If you liked Easy so much, I think you will enjoy them too.
    Thanks for stopping by my review

    Have a nice weekend!
    Kar @ Pause Time

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )