Saturday 1 December 2012

Review: Pure


There is need. And then there is Fate

Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her.

When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude or killing her.

When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.

Title: Pure (Covenant ~ Book 2)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication Date: April 3 2012
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
ISBN: 0983157227
Length: 329 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Love when a series can be spotted as a group by their covers.  The covers of this series are beautiful and with the blues this may be my favorite.
Point of View: 1st person, following Alex

My Rating: 5 Stars

Here is my dilemma.  Book one in the Covenant series, Half-Blood, was amazing and I so enjoyed reading it that I was able to easily give it five stars.  Then I read book two, Pure, and I was blown away!  So where is the dilemma you ask?  I now must find a way to get across in this review how completely awesome Pure is with still only being able to give it five stars... or can we add a sixth, a seventh...

As with all reviews I try my hardest to not give away major plot twists or spoilers in that particular book but I do always give the warning that it will be impossible to not give some things away from earlier books in the series.  So if you have not read Half-Blood, proceed with caution.

My emotions were all over the place while reading Pure!  There is so much intense action, drama and then there are so many beautiful and sweet moments.  Honestly I was up and down and all around by the end of it.

Remember in my review of Half-Blood when I mentioned the possibility of that special little three pointed geometric shape?  Well my prediction has come to pass and it's not so little anymore. In fact it would rival the one over in Bermuda for size!  Now normally when somebody mentions the phrase 'Love Triangle' it would be followed with a sigh or a groan, including from myself.  But I am going to be completely honest with you and say that I think this may be the most well written triangle I have ever read.  I say this because even I would not be able to choose at this point in time.  I love them both, Aiden and Seth.  However, in saying that I think Seth may have just won out a bit in this book.  I found myself really excited when he would come into a scene because I knew that 'something' was going to happen.  And I'm not just talking about the inevitable swooning that takes place in these types of situations.  When he is around you know there are going to be sparks, literally and figuratively.  He is just pure awesomeness!

However, I still love Aiden.  I love how he is when he is around Alex and I understand why he continues to pull away from her.  The feelings he has for her will not get him into trouble as he is a pure, he will be saved from any of the fall out if their relationship was discovered.  Everything that would happen would be happening to Alex and he is trying to avoid that fate for her.  Their interactions are both sweet and frustrating but oh so great.

So yes, there is a triangle but it really is one I understand.  Alex is drawn to Aiden because she has liked him for a very long time, he is caring and sweet with her.  Alex is also drawn to Seth because of their connection through them both being Apollyon.  The question that begs to be answered...  is it just the connection that is drawing Seth and Alex together or is it more?

Alex continued to be the strong willed force of nature that she was in Half-Blood.  In fact I think there are even a few more 'What do you think you doing?' moments!  Sadly there is a tragic event in this book, I am not ashamed to say that I teared up when it happened.  I will not ruin it for you but I can honestly say I did not see it coming and was truly shocked when it did.  This is part of the reason why Armentrout is such an amazing author.  The scenes are seamlessly blended between intense action and intense emotion.  I am never bored while reading and it keeps me turning the pages to the very end.

I was extremely happy to get to the end and find that there is a scene from Seth's POV.  It is in fact 'THE' scene between him and Alex... I was swooning even more after being in his head for the chapter.  I really do love him... but I have a feeling I may be a bit broken hearted in the end.

I would continue to strongly suggest this series to anybody!  If the synopsis sounds even a little interesting to you then I promise you will not be disappointed.  I only discovered Armentrout's books this year and she has already become one of my favorite authors.

“I guess there were two types of people in the world, those who sat around a fire, staring into the flames, and those who started the fire.  Seth and I started the fire, and then we danced around it.”


1 comment:

  1. I've not read this series, but I'm definitely adding to my TBR pile. :)
    Brandy @ A Little of the Book Life
    (New follower)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )