Sunday 17 March 2013

Book Blogger Spotlight: Fifty5Cents Book Blog


My name is Melissia Mabie, Mo to all of my friends and family.  I live in a, hypothetically, quiet town in west-central Illinois with my husband, Danny, and our basset hound, June.  We bought a house here a few years ago under the assumption that it was a sleepy villiage.  Then, we were introduced to the off-roading golf cart mafia.  We love it.  AND our new golf cart.

When and why did you become a book blogger?

I've always loved reading and writing.  In school, I would volunteer to do other's book reports and wrote (and won) many scholarship essays for mysrlf and friends.  Reading is my time machine.  Writing about those travels and experiences, given to me by authors, is water for my thirsty soul.  My book blog is only about 2 months old. A baby blog.

How did you come up with the name of your blog?

Fifty5cents is an inside joke my husband and I have.  When we were starting to date we were broke.  We had 55¢ and couldn't have been happier.  Engraved on wedding rings and other sentimental places, it acts as a reminder to be humble and happy with what we have.  It was a whim that I used that as my blog title and, a sort of, structure for my reviews. 

What is your favorite thing about blogging?

The connections and friendships I've gained.  Authors LOVE bloggers!  In what other arena can fans and artists be this close?  It's an added benefit that authors ask me for my opinion, like they really value my thoughts.  I've given reviews, good and not-so-good, and I am ever surprised of the responses and conversations they lead to.  AND free books!

What do you find the hardest about blogging?

For me, the hardest thing is remaining unbiased.  I fall in love with these authors.  They are living my dream life!  When they let me into their world and bare their fears and worries to me I can't help but have compassion for them.  I do my best to be fair and simply explain my review in a way that can be, hopefully, constructive. It's sometimes challenging. 

Does your blog participate in any weekly features and if so which is your favorite?

I havent dipped myself in the meme or tour pool, yet. I think I'm being selective and waiting for something to really jump out at me.  I do enjoy following them.

What has been your favorite moment since you became a book blogger? Which review, interview or giveaway have you been most proud of?

I love all of them.  I'm proud of the blog as a whole.  It's still new to me.  Every 'first' has me yelling to Danny 'look at this!'  Every correspondence with an author or fellow blogger is still thrilling.  I hope that I keep hold of this enthusiasm and momentum forever.  With respect to the question, my pride probably lies in the way I review.  I get such great feedback on having an original concept to critique the books I've read.

What kind of genres do you enjoy reading and reviewing the most?

New Adult, shhh.... some Erotica, Contemporary Romance and mature YA books seem to be where my comfort zone lies.  But lately I've been enjoying suspense romance.  Outside the box, I'm trying to keep an open mind.

What is your favorite individual book or series? What makes you love it so much?

There are a few.  Anything by Colleen Hoover.  The Gabriel's Inferno books.  Fifty Shades of Gray.  The Crossfire books.  The list goes on and on... ad naseum.  I love romance and love.  Falling in love it one of the most precious gifts.  Doing it with characters in a novel is a great subsitution to the real thing.  I have my hero.

Who is your favorite fictional male character, why and from what book or series are they from?

Simon from Wallbanger.  Boy next door.  Photographer.  Loves baked goods.  O Whisperer.  Sign me up.  Of couse, this dream guy spot changes as frequently as my panties.

Who is your favorite fictional female character, why and from what book or series are they from?

Claire from the Chocolate Lover's series.  She's funny.  Real.  I relate to the way she thinks and approaches situations.

Who are your favorite three authors and why?

K.A. Tucker,  Sylvain Reynard and Colleen Hoover.  But again this changes.  Hopefully, my answer changes with the next book I read.  Moslty, any authors that have artistic approaches to their plots.  I like when the big thing or event in a novel God-smacks me.  These three do that.

If you could turn one book or series into films, what would you pick and who would you cast as the main characters?

Tough one. I 'm terrible at the casting thing.  I think Edge of Never would be a great movie.  Hopeless and the Slammed books, too.  I like when movies introduce me to new faces.  It's hard to separate actors from their previous gigs.  Like how the Twilight series solidified RP as Edward.  I want that 'new' guy.

What books are you most looking forward to in 2013?

Against my better judgement, I'm looking forward to Reckless.  I love me some Kellan Kyle.  And I'm eager to find some new and amazing stand alones.  Im terribly impatient.

Paper books or ebooks?

Paper books or ebooks? Both. I love the feel and tangibleness of paper and I love the privacy and accessibly of ebooks.

Where is your favorite place to read?

Outside on my back deck.  My couch.  My driver's seat on lunch.  Anywhere I can get ample time to get into it.

Milk chocolate, white chocolate or dark chocolate?

Dark chocolate.

Coffee, hot tea or hot chocolate?

Mornings = coffee.  Day = tea.  Snowy/rainy nights = hot chocolate.

Would you like to give any other details about yourself? How can others find you around the web? Such as Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, etc...

Blog: http://fifty5centsbookblog.wordpress.com
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/fifty5cents
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Fifty5CentsBookBlog
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/Fifty5centbookblog

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )