Sunday 9 June 2013

Review: Obsession


He’s arrogant, domineering, and... To. Die. For.

Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in their grasp, which usually doesn’t chafe too badly because he gets to kill bad guys. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is, until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy.

Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something... unnatural. Who would? But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret.

Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable—breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life… or is it Hunter?

Title: Obsession
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website | Blog
Publication Date: May 31 2013
Publisher: Entangled Publishing 
Length: 370 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US | Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: I am of mixed minds on the cover.  Don't get me wrong, it is hot.  However, I have major problems when the characters described do not match the ones on the cover.  Yes, that is Hunter... but no, that is not Serena.  Serena is described as at least a foot shorter than Hunter, with very blond hair.  So, lovely cover but I just wish the models were always as described in the book.
Point of View: Alternating 1st person between both Serena and Hunter

My Rating: 5 Stars

I think when we all first heard there was going to be a spin-off from Jennifer's Lux series, there was a collective round of cheering that took place.  Then we found out that it was going to be more adult (aka steamy) than Dameon and Katy's story, and there was yet again a round of whooping and hollering.  Then as we got closer to release, and Jennifer kept telling us how much she loved Hunter, we got even more excited.  I have to admit, I was so hyped up for Obsession, I was praying it was going to live up to what I had envisioned in my mind.  Well, not only did it live up to what I hoping for, it far surpassed it.

This was an amazing book.

“That’s an alien. I´m an alien. We’re aliens. Aliens everywhere, actually, which is why we have to leave. I´m sure someone called the police by now.”

I loved being in the Lux world again, and it was so interesting and unique to be getting the story from an Arum.  We all know those bottom feeders right?  The 'bad' guys that the Luxen absolutely loathe, the ones we have all grown to hate also.  I mean how can they be good right?  Daemon is Luxen, he is one of the good guys, therefore Arum = bad guys.

Yeah, well... you can take all of your preconceived notions and throw them right out the window.  Obsession changed everything for me.  You actually get to see that the Arum and Luxen are not that different from Humans, in that there are good ones, and there are bad ones.  On both sides.

“Well, the good guys really weren't typical. They really weren't the good guys at all, but if I discovered anything, there was no such thing as white and black. There was a lot of gray in the middle.”

I was giddy when I started reading and discovered this was a dual point of view book.  I had no idea and it turned out to be a lovely surprise.  I was really impressed with Serena, it takes a lot for me to wholeheartedly love a female narrator.  But Serena was smart and realistic, I got her and the decisions she made.

oooOOOooohhh... and then there is Hunter.  What can I say?  Oh yeah... Move over Daemon Black... there is a new alien in town.  Holy wowzer.  Hunter is H.O.T.  He is such the perfect bad boy, and I can't see how this story could have been told without his point of view.  I loved being inside his head.  He is strong, confident, and doesn't give a damn about what others think about him.  Once he makes up his mind about what he wants, he goes balls to the wall and come hell or high water he does what he can to make it happen.  Honestly, he just makes me swoon.  Loved him.

“Hunter's stomach was perfection—each taut muscle tight and totally lickable. Not that I'd ever licked a man's stomach before, but now I got why someone would want to. I was in six-pack heaven.”

I am also happy to report that our very own green eyed Luxen does in fact made a tiny cameo in Obsession.  As soon as I saw mention of  'green eyes' I had a complete fangirl moment.  I actually started clapping, I know this proves me to be a complete sado but I just love when authors bring in characters that we know and love.  There isn't even any dialogue from him but just knowing he was there, in the same room... Let us just say I can not wait for Origin.

“Never in my life had I been more frustrated.  Go figure it wouldn't be with a human but a freaking alien.  At least I now knew that the male species were asses no matter what planet they hailed from.”

Obsession has been published with the understanding that it is a standalone novel.  A companion of sorts to the Lux series.   However, Jennifer made a comment on her blog a while back that it is 'currently' a standalone.  I, as I am sure others, want nothing more than this to be turned into it's own series.  And since I am a lover of conspiracies, I will also point out that last week Goodreads actually had Obsession listed as a series with (Arum #1) next to it.  That has however since been removed and it appears to be listed as a standalone again. 

I just can not wrap my head around this being it for Hunter and Serena.  There is a larger storyline introduced into the Luxen world now, and Hunter and Serena, in my opinion are going to play a big part in that down the line.  This storyline is going to have to cross over into Daemon and Katy's story, there is no way around it.  In the next two Luxen books I am going to be wondering what Hunter and Serena are up to, where are they, what are they doing now?  Yes, maybe they will be side characters in the Lux books... but that just doesn't seem fair to them.  These are two amazing characters who deserve to have more written about them, and from their own points of view.

So, I will be holding out hope that Jennifer decides to turn this into a series... and if or when the announcement is made that she will be, I will be overjoyed... I may even clap again.

“Are you done acting like a psychotic, cracked-out Muppet baby?" he asked, and I could tell by the way his fingers spasmed around my wrists, he really wanted to shake me.

"Or do you need a couple more moments to return to sanity? I have all day. And you actually feel kind of good under me, so take your time.”

MORE QUOTES FROM OBSESSION

1 comment:

  1. OOh nice review!! Reading many good ones on this, I just have to read it! Luckily it was downloaded and uploaded to my Kindle before my internet crapped out on me. Now I just need to work it into my reading schedule! Love seeing the buzz over Daemon's walk on appearance! Can't wait for that or to read this bad boy!! Must do that soon!

    Once again, great review!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )